Info On Licensure

We understand how confusing the licensure and exam process can be so we have provided links to resources that can answer all your questions about the licensure process for the state of Vermont.  Social Worker Advisors, together with the Secretary of State’s Office of Professional Regulation (OPR), provide governance, oversight and enforcement for your profession in the state of Vermont. Please view the videos to the right and FAQs below:

Will I get mail about renewal?

OPR no longer sends postal mail. Please ensure that your email address is kept up to date. Login to OPR Online Services and in the dashboard, click Edit Profile and then update profile on the sub-menu.

Are there new CE requirements?

Act 117 (2022) went into effect on July 1, 2023 and requires licensed mental health professionals to complete one (1) hour of continuing education related to systematic oppression and anti-oppressive practice, or related areas ("Cultural Competency"). You must complete the one hour of continuing education beginning with your January 2026 renewal (this is not required for your 2024 renewal). Online courses are acceptable.

What is the first step to licensure?

if you engage in supervised practice in vermont, you must be on the roster of non-licensed non-certified psychotherapists before you begin your supervised practice. your supervision hours will not be accepted if you were not on the roster during the entire time you were engaged in supervised practice. 

What is the fast track option? I'm from another state.

To qualify to be licensed in VT, an applicant must be actively licensed or certified in good standing in another jurisdiction for three or more years preceding this application.

What is CE pre-approval and do I need it?

You can get pre-approval of a course you are planning to take from OPR but this is not required - CE preapproval is not the same as submitting your CEs for renewal. The cost is $25. The reason why you might want to do this is if you want to ensure that CEs will be approved before you pay for a course/travel to a course. You do not need pre-approval of a course if a certified CE provider (like NASW or ASWB) has already been approved for the CEs.

What is formal coursework?

For this renewal cycle (2024): 15 hours must be in formal coursework. The course can be online but must be interactive/simultaneous (ask yourself - can I ask the presenter a question and get a response in real-time?). Self-study/pre-recorded content can be used for up to 5 hours. For the next renewal cycle (2026), this allowance will be rescinded and in-person CEs will be required again.

What about auditing?

OPR randomly selects 10% of renewals and conducts audits.

Will supervision hours from another state count?

Most likely yes - we recommend confirming with OPR. As long as the out-of-state supervisor meets VT supervisor requirements (primarily 3 years licensure), the hours will likely count. We recommend getting the information that you will need for your LICSW application from your MI supervisor as soon as possible. This way you know you have it when the time comes and you won't worry about tracking your supervisor down.

Is there a time in which I have to complete my hours?

You have 5 years to accrue your hours, it starts when you start getting supervision, not from when you graduated.

What if I can't complete my CEs on time?

If you are not able to complete your CEs, please let OPR know. They have a process for a 90-day “makeup” plan/agreement.

I am an organization - can I offer CEs?

If you’re a provider of a course, you can apply to OPR via $100 for CE approval so that participants can get CE credit

How do I know if I'm on the roster?

Go to OPR website

“Find a Professional” in the top bar and then click on Find a Professional and then enter your name. It will tell you what licenses you hold. If you are “Active” on the roster, you are good to go!

What about renewal? I just got my license.

Renewal is every 2 years. If you are licensed in that renewal period, you have to renew but don’t need to complete the CEs for that time period. For example, if you were licensed after February 1, 2022 and before January 2024, you will need to renew for the January 2024 period but no CEs will be required. After January 2024, you will need to complete the CEs for 2026. The exception is that if you are licensed within 90 days of January 2024, you do not need to renew (or do CEs).

Is there a limited time when CE certificates can be uploaded?

You can do it during when the renewal is open which is roughly 6 weeks before the renewal date. You will get a reminder 3 months in advance.

How to register to take the exam post-MSW?

Set up account on OPR website, get rostered (no requirements to be rostered), apply for LICSW. Once your education transcripts have been approved, you will be able to begin your supervised work. That application “stays alive” until you are ready to complete your LICSW. If you don’t complete the process to the education approval point, your LICSW application will expire in six months and you will have to pay the fee again.

But I'm an LMSW?

If you have an LMSW, you need to be on the roster also. It’s a standalone separate license so it’s important to be on the roster.

When is the earliest that I can sit for the exam?

6 months before you are eligible to be licensed (before your supervision hours are completed)


Your first step is to get on the Vermont Psychotherapy Roster - you will find this when you click on 'online services.'

Licensing process in Vermont

Vermont statutes on social work licensure

The Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) is the non-profit agency that owns and maintains the social work licensure examinations for all states.  There is a lot of helpful information on their website including how to register and how to purchase a study guide and online practice test.

ASWB information

NASW Vermont uses Social Work Exam Services to offer training to students of all levels. Prepare for your Bachelors, Masters, and/or Clinical exam. By using social work examination Services, NASW Members get a $25 discount. Email Lynn  Stanley NASW-VT Executive Director for the code

Check out our video on Vermont licensing and if you have other questions, email

Getting Licensed in Vermont

Ask OPR 12.15.23