Working with Interpreters in Mental Health Settings
Linda Li, LICSW
August 4th 12 - 2 pm EST
2 Clinical CEUs approved by NASW VT
NASW Vermont Chapter is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0683.
How do we best serve our clients for whom English is not their first language? The goal of this training is to better understand the role of the interpreter and how to provide culturally appropriate social services to your clients. In this training, participants will learn the difference between interpreter and translator; the roles and responsibilities of an interpreter; the state and national standards for interpreters; discuss responsibilities and ethics for providers; and review and practice those skills through case studies.
About the presenter:
Linda Li, LICSW was born and raised in Hong Kong. Cantonese is her mother tongue and she also speaks Mandarin. She moved to the U.S. in 1997 and she has been living in Vermont since 1998. After working on a translation project for Planned Parenthood of Northern New England, she became an interpreter in 2004. During the time while she was an interpreter, Linda realized there was so much more she could do to help immigrant families and contribute to the field of social justice.
Linda is Past-President for the National Association of Social Workers, Vermont Chapter. She has conducted many trainings on the topic of working with interpreters and cultural competency. Linda helped train new interpreters on diverse subjects related to immigrant mental health and interpreter services. Currently, Linda has been hosting Zoom conversations with NASW community members on anti-racism and racial equity.
- A zoom link will be emailed to you prior to the workshop
- Please plan on joining us 10 minutes before the start of the workshop to ensure your technology is working
- For those receiving CEUs, after the workshop you will be emailed an evaluation. Your CEU certificate will be emailed to you upon receipt of the completed evaluation
- Please note this workshop is being recorded
- For questions or to pay by check, please email Susan at email@example.com